Vacancy Title
Research Analyst
Business Unit, Department & Location
Retail, Hotels & Leisure
London or Edinburgh
Details

Location: London or Edinburgh

Overall Purpose of Job

 

The hotels team at GVA is a management consultancy firm with over 35 years’ experience helping clients with a wide range of projects in the hospitality, tourism and cultural sectors. We are part of one of the top firms working in these fields offering clients a complete range of advisory services (project management, agency, building consultancy etc.) from an expanded network of 10 offices across the UK and wider Europe.

 

We worked on around a third of all UK managed hotel openings reported by AM:PM Hotels last year.

 

85% of our work is in the hospitality sector with the remaining 15% in tourism and cultural spheres. 

 

Our clients tend to be commercial developers, banks and organisations looking to purchase sites and properties for develop. We advise and help guide their investment decisions.

 

In this role you will provide research, analysis and consultancy support, working as a member of a project teams to help input into client studies. In addition to this you will help collate and input into our outward market focused collateral – market updates, trend presentations to funders and think piece research.

 

About 75% of your time will be working on projects with the other 25% undertaking other research / administrative tasks. We are a small team so all get involved – this is a position to become a core member of the team, it’s not standalone data processing role.

 

Candidates ideally should have experience in the hotel industry or working in research in the wider property sector.

 

Main Duties, Responsibilities & Accountabilities

 

Typical tasks – Research / Feasibility Focus (75% of time):

 

  • Carry out telephone and internet research. This will include but is not limited to: primary demand research, data analysis, market background and compiling hotel competitor sets;
  • Work with our in-house data providers – STR Global, AMPM and other industry / property data sources (EGI etc.)
  • Produce graphs / analysis for presentation in client reports (these tend to be Powerpoint and Word)
  • Analyse and collate results from research, drawing conclusions and making recommendations in the context of the specific study and write-up your findings;
  • Develop data packs for other team members (excel);
  • Participate in project / team and research briefings;
  • Help develop outward facing market research – quarterly presentations to funders / institutions (Powerpoint), research data in our monthly newsletter publication and think pieces / thought leadership publications;
  • Assist with the development of proposals and provide input as needed (principally research);
  • Communicate effectively with research subjects, clients, colleagues and the project Director to ensure the correct and best information is available for each study;
  • UK Travel as required for site visits, client meetings, research interviews and internal meetings (this is not anticipated to be frequent (once a month);
  • Understand the structures and disciplines involved in the various studies undertaken by the GVA Consultancy team (we can train / brief candidates);
  • Develop an interest in and a good understanding of the hotels and leisure sectors;

 

Typical tasks – Administration c.25% of time:

 

  • Maintain and audit hard copy project folders – set up and close, check billing, issue and collate quality questionnaires, monitor budgeted days;
  • Monthly reporting on the above for presentation at the Quality Meeting;
  • Maintain electronic proposal folder and report into the GVA Bid Tracker;
  • Maintain all our electronic folders to ensure old data is archived and the system is tidy and user friendly;
  • Manage a client database and CRM, adding new, updating existing and deleting old contacts;
  • Set-up instruction numbers, complete relevant paperwork and issue invoices as required;
  • Assist with updating and maintaining data storage folders ensuring all data is properly filed and readily available;
  • Any other administration task as required.

 

Desired Knowledge, Skills and Experience

 

Motivation and enthusiasm for the hotel and leisure sector and a drive to succeed in this role outweigh traditional experience, training will be provided. However relevant work experience in this industry will be valuable to candidates.

 

You will be:

 

  • a graduate or graduate calibre
  • a self-starter, able to multi-task and robust with an ability to work on your own initiative
  • willing to travel and be able to drive (though you do not need to own a car)
  • enthusiastic and eager to learn
  • experienced in the hotel or visitor attraction sector (desirable)
  • interested in capital development projects
  • able to start as soon as possible
  • have research experience

 

Required Skills:

 

  • ability to structure research and write effectively
  • computer literate (Word, Powerpoint and Excel)
  • numerate and analytical
  • be a good communicator with high levels of spoken and written English

 

GVA are an equal opportunities employer.

 

Click here to download the Job Description.

 

#LI-EC1